As many of you know I have always had a keen interest in emerging window film technology. Over our 26 years, I’ve brought my share of innovative window films to the Vancouver Island market. About 6 years ago I was asked to market electrically switchable window films. At the time I was pretty skeptical of the technology and we weren’t quite ready to take on the responsibility of an emerging product like this so I waited until recently to take another look. I’ve been introduced to a very successful Canadian company called SmartFilm, located in Ontario that has done a lot of R&D including being the first and at last check the only switchable film supplier with a CSA rating for their product and includes many Canadian sourced electrical components. Not only do I think SmartFilm is the right product to get behind today, but we have also grown our sales, installation, and customer support network to allow this additional capacity in our product line. Obviously, this is quite a step but everyone at Sun Shade is excited and committed to introducing SmartFilm products to Vancouver Island and the BC Interior.
Please call us about your SmartFilm and SmartGlass projects. We are looking forward to assisting with your window privacy in a whole new way.
It is very common for new homes or extensive renos to bring about a few surprises. It can be hard to predict, for instance, the amount of heat that will accumulate in your living areas at different parts of the day.
How Does Smart Film Work?
When the power is switched off the liquid crystal molecules are randomly oriented scattering light and the our switchable Smart Film becomes opaque (frosted, private).
When the small electrical supply is switched on, the liquid crystal molecules align and incident light passes through and the our switchable Smart Film instantly clears (transparent).
Advantages of Smart Film
- Smart Film is also known as PDLC Film provides Instant and precise privacy control.
- Efficient use of space in the built environment
- Smart Film blocks 98+% of damaging UV rays
- Eco-friendly product
- Exceptional optical qualities that reduce glare and eye strain
- Large sizes of many shapes can be produced
- Our Smart Film provides stable colour characteristics for the life of the unit
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Hygienic low maintenance reducing the transmission of MRSA and VRE pathogens
- Smart Film enhances corporate image
- Reduces uncomfortable “Gold fishbowl” feeling when living or working in high-density buildings such as apartment blocks or office complexes
- Reduced fading of carpets, furniture and protect valuable artwork with the advantages of Smart Glass Film
- High UV stability
- Low working voltage
- High video contrast at any viewing angle and any illumination level
- Long-life – tested to in excess of 3,000,000 cycles gives our Smart Film an incredible advantage over the competition