Q&A: Can I Safely Wash My Tinted Windows?
Yes, you can safely wash your windows even with window film installed. We provide cleaning instructions to each client after we complete installation so you know exactly what you can and cannot do. Our advanced window films have a very robust scratch resistant coating so you can clean them regularly for the life of the film as long as you don’t use an abrasive. The main rule of thumb is to use soft cleaning cloths and to avoid blue window cleaners (as they tend to have ammonia in them). Scroll past the break to get some in-depth cleaning instructions.
Yes, you can safely wash your windows even with window film installed. Below we provide cleaning instructions and important information for the first few weeks after installation.
Things to Note
For the bonding period
Our window films are robust and durable products which are installed by trained professionals. If you observe some changes over the first 2 weeks, they are a natural part of the bonding process. Please note the following:
1. Do not clean the glass during the drying period. The sun acts as a catalyst, ensuring that the adhesive thoroughly bonds the film to the glass. The adhesive withstands condensation, high humidity, and window flexing. Window surfaces with a northern exposure may require longer drying times.
2. Water bubbles will disappear. A few small particles or “points” may remain. They are generally visible only from the outside. Inherent to film adhesives, these points are light reflections.
3. A slightly hazy or milky appearance caused by water between the film and the glass at the outset sometimes appears. Don’t be concerned, it will disappear.
4. The barely visible, clear border around the edges ensures that the film is properly bonded to the glass.
5. An almost invisible extra fine butt slice appears on very wide windows that require two sections of film to be completely covered.
6. Detailed cleaning instructions will be explained after installation for all specialty films that require additional care.
7. Never attach items to the film surface of windows. For example, suction cups, adhesive tapes, temporary paints, plastic grids or dividers.
8. Should Safety and Security films inadvertently receive deep scratches or cuts, contact us for immediate replacement to ensure film is at optimal condition.
Tips for Cleaning
For best results
1. Do not clean the film for 30 days after installation;
2. Do not use pure ammonia, industrial strength cleaners, or solutions that contain abrasive materials;
3. Avoid coarse fabrics, razor blades, metal tools, or abrasive pads;
4. If you choose to use rubber squeegees please contact us prior to cleaning to ensure your film will not be damaged
5. Always use a soft clean cotton or microfiber cloth;
6. For a safe cleaning solution use alcohol based products, vinegar & water, or a mixture of 1 litre distilled water combined with 2 drops of Ivory® liquid dish detergent;
7. If you prefer to use Windex® or other household cleaners please ensure they are ammonia free or contact us for approval
8. Cleaning process: Mist the window lightly with safe liquid cleaning solution and use soft cloth to gently stroke dry the window. Do not rub aggressively or with force.