How to Wash Windows With Film
Due to recent global events (we all know what we’re talking about) many of us are finding ourselves spending a lot more time than usual at home. For those of us who are isolating, finding ways to occupy ourselves during this period of self-isolation is crucial to our collective sanity.
So, why not take this time to discuss the proper way to clean windows that have been treated with film? Maintaining window film is easy and yields amazing results, you just have to make sure you follow a few guiding principles and avoid a few common mistakes.
What to Avoid
- Resist the urge to clean the films within 30 days of application. The films need this time to cure fully.
Do not use pure ammonia, harsh industrial cleaning solutions, or anything abrasives (baking soda, brushes, scouring pads, or paper towels). Usually, all that’s needed is a mild soap and water.
- Do not use pure ammonia, harsh industrial cleaning solutions, or anything abrasive (baking soda, brushes, scouring pads, or paper towels). Usually, all that’s needed is a mild soap and water.
- If you are unsure about a cleaning product, just give us a shout, we’re happy to answer your questions.
What to Do
- For a safe cleaning solution use alcohol based products, vinegar & water, or a mixture of 1 litre distilled water combined with 2 drops of mild liquid dish detergent.
- Fill a spray bottle with your chosen cleaning solution and spray the window.
- Use a sponge or microfibre cloth to clean the windows by lightly rubbing. Every few scrubs, rinse the sponge or cloth in clean water.
- Squeegee the window with a clean rubber squeegee. Clean the squeegee with a towel after each stroke.
- Wipe the window and sill dry with a microfibre cloth, avoid using paper towels because they can leave lint behind and even scratch the film.
Keep the Good Times Rolling
Those with window film installed on their homes enjoy benefits that include comfort, money savings, and energy efficiency. One of the secrets to getting the most out of your films is keeping them clean.